[Story Time] Cold and Hot Lunch

I came across a post about school lunches and was reminded about my experience as an elementary kid. The story was basically the mom packed lunches for her kids because she thougth they didn't have free lunch. Even though she packed them lunches, they still grabbed some food items during lunch. By the end of the year, she was sent a bill. Then she explained to her kids about the lunch charges as a parent; $1.75 for breakfast and $2.75 for lunch.

A couple days after that conversation, her daughter came home with a lunch bill of $2.75. She gave the bill to her mom and her own money to pay for it. She said to her mom, "Mommy, I heard they were having lasagna and I thought it was gonna be yummy like yours. It wasn't. Not worth the $2.75." Of course the mom forgave her.

I found that not only a hilarious and honest moment, but a time portal to my own lunch experience as a kid myself.

(Just a quick background) My family came to the US in 1993. I was fortunate enough to attend the entire school system from pre-k to graduation. My older sisters were assigned to grades based on their age.

At the elementary school I attended, the teachers asked you every morning what you want for lunch: cold or hot lunch. At the time, I didn't know there was a difference between the two. The way I understood it was like how Amelia Bedelia understood life. Cold lunch was a "cold" lunch and hot lunch was a "hot" lunch. Because my mom always fed us food right after she cooked, it was always hot. So fortunately, I always went with hot lunch.

But one day, I took the road less taken. That morning when my teacher asked me what I wanted for lunch, guess what I said? I wanted a cold lunch. Not because I understood that it meant I brought my own lunch, but because it was a hot day, and I wasn't going to eat a hot lunch.

Went to lunch that afternoon, there was no food! I was so confused! I thought they were going to give me a cold lunch on that hot day. To this day, it's still a mystery to me if my teachers realized I did or didn't eat that day.

If you haven't figured out what cold lunch is, it means you brought your own lunch. I never brought lunch from home my entire school years, so that day, I'm not sure if I ate. This story probably means absolutely nothing to you, but it holds a special place in my heart, to remind myself how to rake care of my future kids. LOL!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram