OMW To Minimalism

I didn’t intend to be part of the minimalism wagon, it just happened. Having a lot of things is a lot of work and hauling, so when I moved for the third time, I had to let go of a few items.

What is minimalism? Minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of everything that distracts us from it (credit)

1. Microwave
When I first came to Madison, WI, I had a microwaved. Then I moved to this nice gated apartment that came with one, so I didn't take it with me. After my sublease for that apartment, I came to my duplex without one.
I was concerned at first, but after a month without it, I was completely fine. Not having a microwave is definitely inconvenient; you can't just microwave whatever at the tips of your fingers. But the good thing was that this meant I had to cook food and not buy frozen food.

2. Refrigerator/Grocery
At my first two apartments, my fridge had a decent amount of food. That was really cool, but it was painful to clean when I moved out. This time, I'm not doing that to myself. I figured that I eat out most of the time anyway, so I don't buy grocery to stink up the fridge anymore.

3. Huge Dresser + Dining Table
I had this huge dresser with a really nice mirror, but it was such a pain to move it. It was what I’ve always wanted as a child. I tried to sell it so I didn't have to haul it over, but no one wanted it when I needed it gone. After I moved, it sold for $80, and I only got it for $50. Once I let that go, I was able to let go of my dining table too, which I got for $50 and resold for $80. It was a really pretty set, but it just didn’t fit the space I had.

4. IKEA Organizer
Like a basic girl, I had an 8-cube organizer as my tv stand. It was beautiful and everything, but just too bulky. I was able to get rid of it before my move; got it for $20 and resold for $60.
The next items I need to get rid of are:

  • Small toaster oven
  • Futon
  • Bedframe
  • Coffee Table
  • Clothes, lots of clothes (I am down to one closet now though :D)
  • Kitchen items/utensils

After all that, the only big item I’ll be left with is my 65 inch tv, desk/tv stand, and big sofa. I can’t let go of the sofa at all. It has too much memories and it’s extremely comfortable. I have considered giving my parents the 65 and going back to a 40 inch tv, but I’m just so used to my 65. I just remembered to include my awesome foamy mattress. It was pretty mind blowing when it was leaned on the wall when not in used. All of a sudden, the room expanded. I guess that was my moment of realization that it felt good to decluttered.

I hope this entry inspired you to get rid of a few items. Thank you for reading!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram