How To Make Hmong Steam Layer Cake

Hello everyone. I just learned how to make this simple dessert that I thought was extremely difficult and out of my league to attempt. However, after spending 30 minutes on youtube, my fears disappeared. The reason I wanted to learn how to make this treat was that I hated paying for them. By the end of this entry, you will also master this recipe. Let get right into it.

1. Ingredients
Recipe:
1 Cup - Rice Flour
1 Cup - Tapioca Flour
1 Cup - Coconut Milk
1 1/4 Cup - Sugar
1 1/2 - Cup - Water

2. Mix everything together in one bowl until sugar dissolves

3. How to cook it: Making this dessert is only by steaming.
  1. Prepare your steamer and on the top tray, get your cake pan or mold ready in place.
  2. Use your measuring cup to pour about 1/4 in of the mix into the cake or mold and let it cook for 8-10 minutes
  3. If the first layer is solid, pour the mix on top of the first layer to create the different layers of colors. Let it cook for 8-10 mins again. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the pan is filled
  4. Let it cool completely...or eat it while it's warm; that's ok too.
**Alternative for steaming: Because I don't want to own a huge steamer, I had to find another solution.
  • Option 1: Use a boiling pot. Crumble aluminum into a ball to create the height between the water and space for steaming. Add enough water for the pot to boil without covering the aluminum. Then place the bake pan on top and pour mix. Make sure you have a lid to cover the pot.
  • Option 2: Use a silver strainer to create a height. Then add water and let it boil. Place cake pan on top of the strainer, pour mix, and cover the pot with the lid.
I hope to film this on my youtube channel soon so it's not as scary as the 10+ minutes out there. Thanks for tuning in

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram