Soccer vs Volleyball

I originally had this thought while writing it on my Facebook status, but it mysteriously disappeared while I considered writing it on the blog, so here we are. The decision was made for me to write it on here.

I haven't played soccer since 2014 and picked up volleyball after. After watching volleyball tournaments for the past years, I picked up one difference: dedication. I'm not saying that all volleyball players aren't as dedicated, but between the two, soccer players are committed to being better.

In soccer, 80% of the players practice and 20% is a miracle. Meanwhile, the opposite happens in volleyball; 20% practice and 80% shows up on short notice. It's the dedication percentage that determines one team's outcome and you see it all the time. Teams who practice and bond together will always end up at the top. Teams that decide to play at the last minute doesn't make it.
You're only as strong as your weakest player.
Yet, those teams are displeased with the results. Your input determines your outcome, it's a simple formula. You're only as strong as your weakest player. A good amount of volleyball players show up at the tournament and walk away with, "not bad for pickup team," "not bad for not practicing," "not as bad as next time." I don't have that mindset at all.

There is definitely volleyball players/team out there that practice every day and you see those results in the top three every single time, every single tournament. They're not doing anything different than you, you're just doing the same thing, playing the same game, and having the same mindset.

As an individual, no matter what sport I play, there are two things I ask myself before competing: Have I improved my skills? Will I give it my all? Your answers will determine your outcome. I go into a competition or an interview, knowing the results ahead of time. I know I put in the work and this is going to be the outcome.

What I love and miss most about my soccer team is their commitment. We practiced every day. We went into games knowing how everyone would place; yes, hiccups happen. But we are never in for a surprise. I don't play and find out another player is lacking; I already know where they lack and how we worked on it. With volleyball, people just show up and play. That's fun and all, but I'm not wasting no money for "fun." There are teams/players I know I can beat and it doesn't have to be done at the tournament. That's for me to know, and if the world sees it too, that's just a bonus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram