My blog doesn't have a mask

Yerisawesome got me currently listening to this :D
Alan Moore — 'People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.'

That was used in V for Vendetta. It was a great movie about the people and their government. There were many great words, but I want you to watch the movie to hear it from the characters, to feel the words, to feel the emotion. Speaking of ‘feel’, it was very funny that the detective went toward that direction as the movie unfolded. When asked why he believed what he believed by the chancellor, Adam Sutler, at the end, he responded, “It was a feeling.”

V’s masked resonated with my own Facebook account, which many of us can also relate to. It was interesting how he presented his ‘masked’ identity to different people, just the same way we have a different personality or tone to different people:

To Evey, played by Natalie Portman: Evey, please. There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it or the bones beneath them.

When he said this to Evey, he presented himself as a nobody. However, he made sure it was clear of who he was and what he stood for when it was people who did him wrong.

To Creedy: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Let me quote again, “Ideas are bulletproof.” This was super awesome and total pun intended. When V said that, Mr. Creed had a group of about eight ‘police officers’ surround him, and of course, threatened V that they will shoot him with their guns. V responded, “Now, what you have are *bullets*, and the hopes that when your guns are empty, I'm no longer standing, because if I am... you'll all be dead before you'll reloaded.” Super awesome! Go watch it already :D

Many people know my facebook name as something completely different. If my profile photo wasn’t me, no one would know it was me. The easy and honest response when I was often asked was, “You should never use any real information on the internet to begin with.” I do it for privacy reasons, ahem, so much for privacy, it’s the web. But the story behind my facebook account is that, it’s not a place for me to be taken serious or take others serious. If it takes you 3 seconds to like or comment, it’s not worth my time to gather a counter argument :D. Sometimes, I just agree and wait for the day we’ll be on the same page, you know, there’s more to life than convincing you at a time you’re not ready. I was on a private Hmong Debate group page for about a week. To begin with, I’m at fault for only investing in a short time to read some of the arguments before I left. Many of them were not organized, taken wayyy too literal instead of bigger concept/ideas, and also without support, theories, and examples. There was nothing wrong with their approach to a debate; I was simply the one in the wrong place. I chose to leave than to demand that they organize their arguments in my preference, which would've lead to a debate, hence the group page name :P pun intended. If one wants to really convince me or prove a point, I prefer to read an organized and written statement, not a 3 second comment. I've gone through this process myself and I appreciate all the theories ever written, even if they were not aligned with my views.

I also didn’t want to use my real name because I didn’t want people looking me up so easily. Another reason was because if I responded to anything on Facebook, I didn’t want my name to give away any information on me (gender, ethnicity, status, etc.), so my comments will be perceive as one with a neutral mind, speaking from a neutral point.

I’m confuse, what do you mean?

People comment on things throughout Facebook posts. Sometimes, it’s outside of the Facebook posts. Our Facebook account can be linked into almost any site now, in order for us to comment. If you’ve been following the news on Sao Lue Vang, you’ll see in the comment sections of the people that commented on it. If you read their Facebook name, many of the names are common Hmong names, which could lead to an assumed conclusion that anyone with a Hmong name is bias. I know, it's juxxxx luv, Hmoob Yuavtsum Hlub Hmoob, and vice versa for non-Hmong in non-Hmong cases.

But aren’t you making a statement with the name you chose on Facebook too?

I felt my Facebook name was neutral, universal, and positive. It wasn’t religious. It wasn’t political. Lastly, I shared the mission of the name, to be the “good guy,” in my case, a woman, to fight for fairness and equality. I had spent so much time on research to write statements that was read about once, and then will be gone with the photo through delete, replace, or new posts. Those short Facebook comment arguments/debates didn’t get anywhere, so I made the switch to blog them. I found myself repeating the same thing over and over again. I decided to blog, so I can reference people to read an organized opinion.

For this blog, I used my real name. I did that because I knew this was a place I felt confident and comfortable to express myself. It was a place trolls wouldn't dare to enter :D. This was a place I knew no one could ‘like’ and continue their day. This was a place that one would have to read from beginning to end (theoretically) before they write their 3 second comment. To me, that shows appreciation, even if they don’t agree, and that one has taken their time to see all that I have to say before responding. Therefore, I will take the time to see where they’re coming from. This is a page that has value and meaning to me.

I leave you with V’s well said and organized speech:


If you're really in for an adventure, I'll let you make the decision to click this to see how many V you hear in this V Speech. I want to create a typography video sometime this year.

Long post today, but I hope you know what kind of mask you have on :P oooOOooOH!!

3 comments

  1. I am glad you enjoyed the movie, a lot of good dialog and meaning behind the movie. i believe V is a part of each of us, we all have something important to share. i always wondered why you had that name for your fb, now we have some insight into why. wow you had that name for a long time, guess you will change it when the time comes? change is good, i changed my name a few years ago. i just wanted something new, maybe a new me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been my name since I created my FB account. The real and main reason was because of the same initials. I should've mentioned that.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with you about getting frustrated with people who present an argument without a well thought opinion. I don't really know what the point of debating somebody is if you don't have any evidence to back yourself up with....or a point. I think some people just want to argue. Or have the appearance of being smart. ( which I secretly love shutting down if the person is being a bit of a d-bag).

    As far as having a mask... I don't know. I guess I do on Facebook. I hold back a lot on there. It's hard for me to just blurt out the things I'm really thinking sometimes on the worldwide web. I don't think it's bad to have a fake name on there anyway. If you are planning to be a professional, you can't have anyone just creepin' on your stuff.

    Anyway, as always I enjoyed reading your blog. It was a lot of pun :p

    P.S. I looooovee this movie. One of my favorites

    P.S.S. One more quote, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -Voltaire

    ReplyDelete

My Instagram