A Photographer is More Than Just Their Lens - Dedicated to my sister of Pang Khang Photography

(My cropped and exaggerated version of the story) A photographer was invited to eat dinner and take photos of food with top of the line chefs of all time. She got ready for the day and attended the event. She sat at the dinner table and the chefs go, "You don't really take great photos. It's just your lens that does the work." Offended, the photographer felt. She wanted to blast them, but she just sat there and listened. When the food came out, she ate it and said, "You don't really cook good food. It's just your oven." She left the dinner feeling victorious. 

You decide what the moral of the story is.

I have always underestimated my photographer skills (because I'm just gifted to be naturally talented :D teehee, jk!) until this weekend's photo session with my family. When all the photos uploaded, you could tell who took which photos. I'm not putting down anyone, but it was just a really funny observation. I can say I took some good ones, and some of them admit to taking bad ones too, lol (life rule: don't be good at something you don't wanna do :D). Unfortunately, the one who didn't have the best results was the photographer, Pang Khang.

"Before you can start something, you have to have an idea of what you want."
No matter what it is that you do, it's all about having a vision. One of my sister was really involve in a community group. She volunteered to do the flyer/photoshop role. However, she didn't know how to do it and would ask the ones who did. This then cause a "she doesn't help me = she doesn't like me" situation. Obviously, those exact words and feelings weren't exchange, but it's the fact that she needed help and we couldn't do it for whatever our reasons were. She endorses us with, "but you guys are so good and this would be a snap of a finger for you." Then one night we talked about it and I said, "It's not the photoshopping part that's hard...It's the vision. Before you can start something, you have to have an idea of what you want. The only difference between your and my skills is our vision; our idea of the end result. I can put something together, because I simply spend time thinking about how to put it together. It looks like I put it together in five minutes, but it's not." After I said that, I think it made her see things differently; made her realize she doesn't have to wait on me and she can take this skill by the horn. As much as it sucked for her, her being her, she toughed it out and made time to learn photoshop. Months later, she made her own flyers. I taught her how to fish, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." But in all seriousness, you have to have a vision before you start.

That's what makes Pang Khang Photography so unique from other photographers. She has a vision before the photos even happen. She (and my other sisters in their own ways) has always had a vision (to do and be the best) in life, no matter what she did. She went to college with the mindset, "I'm going to do good and good only (this means sacrificing money, time, party, whatever)." In high school, teachers kept her work as samples for future students. Because we were only a grade apart, she and I had some same teachers and gosh, she set the bar high for me. I did great, but not better than her. If there's one person in my family that I can trust getting the job done better than me, it's her.

Anyway, enjoy these bad screen shot qualities of my family's photoshoot in Hmong clothes. For originals and best quality, visit, like, and follow Pang Khang Photography.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram