Up in the Air | Flying TIps

This post was requested by my sister, the05experience. I have 30 minutes to sum up some traveling tips before going to work! Ever since I flew to Vegas and back with Spirit Airlines for less than $100 (MSP --> LAS) in 2013, I told myself to never pay more than that, unless I'm desperate, but I always find a way.
  1. Try to plan 1-3 months ahead. The earlier the better.
    1. According to this, 47 days ahead!
    2. Tuesday at 3 p.m. EST
    3. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are typically the cheapest days to fly
    4. More tips for me to listen to later!
  2. Buy from the closest major airport, or it'll automatically connect the flights from your smaller airport if it connects without you knowing and end up thinking "I can fly right from here." Just weigh the costs of driving to the major airport or not. For example, if you're flying alone, it'll cost you about $30, so you might be better off saving yourself that labor and cost. Meanwhile, if you're traveling with a group, split the $30 and fly from the closest major airport.
  3. Baggage/luggage rules. For me, this "included personal item" is more than enough. I mean, the luggage fees cost more than the actual flight, lol! Spirit has the most expensive luggage fees. So if you have a lot of stuff, your luggage might cost more than your flight. But hey, take that as an opportunity to pack better and smaller so you can save. We don't even wear half the things we pack anyway!
  4. Carry on - Since it's a luggage/item that won't be put in the cabinet like a 'checked' bag, you will have to follow TSA's liquid rule, which is basically to have all your liquids under 3oz and in a ziploc bag. They didn't question me when I had foundation in my make up bag.
How do you actually buy a cheap flight?
  1. Go through a site that already did the work for you when looking for the cheapest flight. Sometimes a simple google "ORD to LAS" (airport codes, Ohare to Las Vegas) does the job. Otherwise, cheaptickets.com, edreams.net, or farecompare.com, are my favorites.
  2. Once you find the cheapest flight, then go to the actual airline site. For example, Spirit showed up as the cheapest, go to their site.
  3. Once on the site, you might even see promos, like:
  4. Also on the site, you can actually choose your seat for $5+ or probably free if you waive that liberty. Booking through the actual airline site is how you can get a window seat!
  5. You can also view a monthly cost of tickets if you change the settings to "monthly" with whatever site you're using.
  6. Sometimes doing a roundtrip might cost more because it's kind of bundling. I recently started buying just 1 way tickets for each way separately for costs. For example, it costs $30 to fly there and $100 to fly back. But I don't want to pay that in case the $100 back drops, but I also don't want to miss the $30 there too. So what to do? Just buy the $30 there while it's cheap and wait for the back. You're going to pay that $100 regardless, so might as well wait. But the risk is up to you.
    1. Also with that method, I was able to get a rewards/rebates card back for making a transaction. So technically, I made 2 transactions, but sadly it was done by me, and most polices are "per customer." So maybe you can buy them with different accounts to qualify more for rebates or what not.
  7. Since I drive 2 hours to ORD, I need to park my car. Fortunately there has been groupons for $6 PER DAY PARKING! Like any place, do not leave any cash or valuables. You park there and they shuttle you to the airport. Make sure you calculate this time if you go with this option.
    1. go to Use this link, then just look up parking in the city where you are departing from.
  8. more later

What's the best deals I've gotten?
I just flew to ORD to ATL for $100 round trip. That recent Frontier promo just cost me $25 from ORD to ATL. I purposely fly out of holiday, which are also blackout dates for many promos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram